11 March 2011

Perspective: Earthquakes in Japan and Madison

Over the last four weeks, we here in Wisconsin have been consumed with the events in Madison. A Governor who is stripping union privileges from state workers, Senators on the run and a populous bitterly divided and fighting amongst themselves over political issues.


USGS map showing the ground shake this morning.
 Then, this morning, off the coast of Honshu, Japan, a massive earthquake struck. Estimates of the dead are just coming in and the videos of the quake(s) (there have been dozens in the last few days) are terrifying even form this distance.

Christchurch, New Zealand and Queensland, Australia and hundreds of other places in the world are battling the planet itself. Then of course there are true political battles. Libyans are dying for freedom, Egypt is still looking for its new identity, and Tunisia, where it all started, is giving all that it has to help the Libyans who are coming over their border.

Maybe, when we argue about these things that are important in our lives, we can bear this in mind. Before we look at our neighbor or brother or co-worker, we should look at the ground and say, "I stand on solid ground, the same ground you share. For that, I respect you. Now, let's talk."

Peace in the United States is rarely broken. On a September morning, almost 10 years ago, 3,000 people died in a horrible attack. We rightfully cried. We were outraged. We still wince at the thought. There are and should be mourned.

As a matter of perspective, approximately 19,629 people have died in Afghanistan and 900,338 in Iraq since 2001. * Each person was someone's child, father, sister, brother, lover. Not all of them were innocent, but I guarantee, most of them were! 

I know the I will continue to write about the politics of our state and country. I know that at times I will lose my perspective. I also hope that in the end, I will remember what is really important: the love of family and friends and dying with the knowledge that I left the world a happier, nicer place.

No comments:

Post a Comment